Wednesday, March 22, 2006

risky business

i’ve had this great little black leather journal for a long time… but until just recently I’d never written anything in it. you know, it was just one of those things where I wasn’t quite sure that I wanted to fill yet another journal with MY ramblings or whatever… but a couple of weeks ago I finally decided that the journal couldn’t live without words any longer and came up with the perfect use for it. I decided that I’d start writing little quotes in it that I’ve been collecting for several months.
so now I’m filling it with quotes like this one from Helen Keller: “Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.”
this has become a pretty inspiring project for me… maybe because I’ve chosen a lot of quotes from people who have defied odds, overcome obstacles… like Helen Keller. she was one amazing person.
someone else who defied odds? Walt Disney. Did you know that he was once fired from an ad agency because he was told that he “lacked ideas” and couldn’t draw? um, yeah, I’m betting that the guy who fired him ended up feeling like a huge idiot later... and rightly so. Disney once said this: “It’s kinda fun to do the impossible.”
I love that.

speaking of great quotes, I read a motivating article yesterday. If you’re interested, it’s a great read. It’s written by Margaret Feinberg and there’s a diamond analogy that she includes in this article that really made the light go on in my head… or in my spirit… whatever.
http://www.injoy.com/Newsletters/catalyst/Full/default.aspx?article_id=34

The things that stuck out to me in this article:
“Courage requires the belief that something greater than yourself is at stake. It also asks you to trust that Someone greater is at work. “
“Learning to fly is risky business. Crash landings usually hurt, and it's hard to get up, brush yourself off, and try again. Stepping out and doing what you were created to do rather than what is expected of you is hard. Even faith is a risk, so living a life of following Jesus is littered with risk.”

Does that speak to anyone besides me? are you willing to step out and do what you were created to do rather than what is expected of you? RISKY BUSINESS!

oh well, like Helen said, “Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.”

No comments: