Friday, November 28, 2008

Thomas Jefferson

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God? That they are not to be violated but with his wrath? Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just: that his justice cannot sleep for ever."
-Thomas Jefferson, Notes on the State of Virginia,
Query 18, 1781


Thomas Jefferson's religious views have been debated and argued both in and out of court. But what do his writings, as sampled above, tell us? What did his actions tell us? I wonder what people in the future would argue about my religious views when reading my writings? What do you think they would say about you, yours writings, your actions? How will they sum you up? What conclusions will they come to? Or will they even read the things you wrote on your blog? Will they just go by the stories they heard of you? And which story will they hear? Do you think it depends on the storyteller? Will there even be stories to tell of you? Wouldn't you want them to base their conclusions on things you actually said and did? Just a thought. So what did Thomas Jefferson actually say and do?

3 comments:

Lindsey Claire said...

Awesome quote. And so true... God's justice cannot sleep forever... and I believe it's "waking up" at this point in our nation.

Larry McCallister, Jr. said...

Kris, I read your James Kennedy link, too. We lost a great Christian statesman when Kennedy went to heaven not long ago.

Lindsey Claire said...

hmm, I like the revisions you made to this one, but I'd say it's time for a new post!! :)